Review: The Prophet by Amanda Stevens

by 10/15/2014 0 comments
Mass Market Paperback347 pages
Published April 24th 2012 
by Mira 
(first published January 1st 2012)
Series: Graveyard Queen, #3
My Rating:
Genre: Urban Fantasy



My name is Amelia Gray.

I am the Graveyard Queen, a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. My father passed down four rules to keep me safe and I've broken every last one. A door has opened and evil wants me back.

In order to protect myself, I've vowed to return to those rules. But the ghost of a murdered cop needs my help to find his killer. The clues lead me to the dark side of Charleston—where witchcraft, root doctors and black magic still flourish—and back to John Devlin, a haunted police detective I should only love from afar.Now I'm faced with a terrible choice: follow the rules or follow my heart.


Oh my, Amanda Stevens has done it again. Ever since I started this series, not too long ago, I have been swept away by this author's writing. The imagery, the careful placing of words makes reading this series a rich experience. You get the shivers. Of the hot and cold kind. You get the creeps. You feel the tension coiling inside, and you see every scene come alive as you read. It devastates me, every time.

In this book, Amelia is back in Charleston. She's dealt with a lot, and it seems there is more mojo for her to unravel and face. And at the center of it all is Delvin, the haunted man she ought to avoid. But it seems some fate is drawing them together, and Amelia soon comes to realize that she needs to do things she never dared to do before--converse with ghosts, acknowledge them, help them. And the one ghost most in need of her help is little Shani, Delvin's late daughter.

What I discovered about Delvin's late wife in this novel made me shiver. But it worse knowing that Shani was tied to her mother. The magic that comes into play in this novel is sinister, and yet also allows Amelia to realize that she has power. Power she's never dared tapped, power she's never acknowledged. All of this lays down what could be some very spooky, very magic based events that Amelia may have to face. It seems that it's her destiny, as much as Delvin is also her destiny.

Which brings to me to the romance in this book. Le sigh. Romance has never been the focus of this series, but I love that Delvin and Amelia have had some very intimate moments, emotionally and physically. And I'm dying to see how this relationship plays out. I'll be picking up the next book as soon as it's released. This is one series that has yet to disappoint, and has delivered haunting stories of rare beauty each and every time.


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: