Review: Lavender Vows by Colleen Gleason

by 1/02/2014 0 comments
Kindle Edition72 pages
Published April 15th 2011 
by Avid Press

A novella of passion and love in Medieval England.

Lord Bernard of Derkland needs to find a wife, if for no other reason than to satisfy his father and his incessant badgering. He has no interest in marrying, but when he meets the beautiful and gentle Joanna of Swerthmore, he knows immediately that she is the one.

The only problem is: she's already wed.


My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this read. It was a well told story, the characters were well developed, it had just enough action and hell that cover is gorgeous. I was itching for a medieval romance and this quick read fit the bill. 

And it was a quick read. Less than a hundred pages, this is a well spun novella and will keep you engaged throughout. Bernard has a well meaning if meddlesome father who wants him to marry. Bernard is determined to chose a wife for himself before his father settles on one for him, and when he meets Joanna he is instantly touched by her care and compassion for a cat and her litter of kittens. All too soon however, he discovers that Joanna is married to a vile man, Ralf, and that Ralf brutalizes Joanna. 

You would think a story this short couldn't really have any romance in it, but I was swept off my feet by Bernard's declaration of love and intention to marry Joanna himself in the herb garden as she is standing near the lavender bed. It made me all le sigh. And Joanna knows Bernard would never hurt her, that he wants to protect her but fears for his safety, but all the same she cannot help but enjoy his kiss. 

I think if I were to complain of one thing in this book is that the length cuts a bit into the plot; I would have liked it to be a tad more developed in regards to the map and Bernard and Joanna's eventual marriage. But overall it was well done, and no loose strings were left hanging. A lovely, breezy romance read. 

3 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: