Review:Firelight by Kristen Callihan

by 12/08/2013 0 comments
Mass Market Paperback372 pages
Published January 31st 2012 
by Forever

Once the flames are ignited . . . 

Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .

Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.


My Thoughts

I've had this novel on my TBR shelf forever. Or, at least, it feels that way. And I'm so glad I picked it up recently. The writing is delicious. Poignant, sharp and yet you have to read this book to really get how smart and lovely it is. So, without further ado...

Archer: Can I say wow? Because wow. I really liked this character. In a word, he's noble. To tack on some more words, he's also tortured. Strong. Stubborn. I loved his tenacity, I loved how he felt enough to really want Miranda, not just to bed her. I loved that he was stupidly self sacrificing. I loved who this man was behind the mask.I can't say more about that mask for fear of spoilery, because Callihan is an amazingly talented author who unravels her plot slowly. As a reader, I was left wondering not just what was behind the mask, but also about what was in Archer's past because I knew something dark lurked there, yet it was obvious that Archer was a good man. 

Miranda: Here is a heroine to love. This girl does not take life lying down. She stands up--to her father, to Archer, daring him to full reveal himself in more ways than one. She stands up to the world for defiling Archer. I just loved her strength. She was a perfect, brilliant match for Archer. A word for her? Stubborn. Want two words? Strong. She and Archer have a lot in common--secrets, fears, deep emotion. She is the only one who dares to really see Archer, and I loved her for that. 

If you enjoy layered stories, love historical or paranormal romances, this novel is up your alley. If you fall in love with the taste of words, this novel is beautifully crafted. Do I love this book? Oh yes. Would I recommend it? YES. This is one book you should read before 2013 is out. 

5 glittering stars


Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: