Review: Own the Wind by Kristen Ashley

by 5/16/2013 0 comments
Paperback448 pages
Expected publication: June 25th 2013 
by Forever (first published April 2nd 2013)
Tabitha Allen grew up in the thick of Chaos--the Chaos Motorcycle Club, that is. Her father is Chaos' leader, and the club has always had her back. But one rider was different from the start. When Tabby was running wild, Shy Cage was there. When tragedy tore her life apart, he helped her piece it back together. And now, Tabby's thinking about much more than friendship...

Tabby is everything Shy's ever wanted, but everything he thinks he can't have. She's beautiful, smart, and as his friend's daughter, untouchable. Shy never expected more than friendship, so when Tabby indicates she wants more--much more--he feels like the luckiest man alive. But even lucky men can crash and burn...

My Thoughts

I've heard such wonderful things about Kristen Ashley and now I know why. Ms. Ashley is a talented writer who really knows how to tell a story, and tell it with feeling. Own the Wind is her latest novel, and the first in the Chaos series so I thought it was a perfect time to pick up one of her books. While I've never read biker books (didn't even know that was a category in romance), this sounded like an engaging read.

I was a bit thrown off by the fact that the story is told is two narrative styles. Whenever the novel is progressing from Shy's point of view, it's written in the third person. Since that was the way the novel opened up, I assumed it would be a third person narrative style all the way through. But then the novel switched to Tabby's point of view, and suddenly the story was being told in a first person narration. To be honest, the switch didn't really bother me. It was just something I found interesting, and that could potentially throw some readers.

Shy: The man is hot and straightforward. He tells it to Tab like it is, and I like how honest he is. Sure, he was a complete ass to her at the beginning, but his intentions were good. And I doubt he had the smallest notion that what he said to her would affect her the way it did. I have to say, for some reason, the scenes between him and Tab in bed were downright the hottest thing. I think it was his intensity and the way he talked. I was all OMG about his love making. The wonderful thing about Shy is he's always making love to Tab--everything he says and does is because he adores her so much, even if he can be overbearing and bossy at times. I like that kind of dedication in a hero.

Tabby: Tabby did not put up with anyone's sh*t. She didn't take it from her dad, from Tyra, from Natalie or from Shy. If they crossed lines (which people did a lot in this story, mostly out of concern but sometimes because they were acting on assumptions) Tabby let them know it. I loved that Tabby dreamed a dream once and that by the end, she has come to have that dream realized. It was a long, rocky road for both her and Shy, but I think it was one that led Tabby into being the strong, biker old lady she has become. I admired her spunk and loyalty to those she loved.

The second book in the series, Fire Inside is due out in June, and I cannot wait to see where this series is headed. Chaos has gotten itself into a bit of a turf war, and I'm wondering how Tack will handle it, where Rush might fit into the story, but more importantly what Hop did that Shy could believe, but Tabby could not. Because it must have something to do with Lanie. A wonderful start to a promising new series.

4 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: